Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Mediterranean fantasy

Since we never got to celebrate our 2 year anniversary due to the 3000 miles that separate us, I booked us a table for dinner at a popular restaurant in DC called "Zaytinya".  They serve small plates or Tapas and the food is a mixture of Lebanese, Greek and Turkish cuisine.  And we love the Mediterranean cuisine so it was a nice treat!  We ordered a mushroom couscous (couscous, garlic, mushroom and peas), the Turlu Turlu (veggies, eggplant, squash, chickpeas, cumin and coriander) and the Bamya (okra, chickpeas and tomatoes).    First we were served with never-ending pita bread and oil and balsamic vinegar (: then we were given our main dishes.  Surprisingly it was more than enough for the two of us.  We were very pleased with this meal! I loved the mushroom couscous and I think that Ty preferred the Bamya.  But it was all together an amazing experience.

Oil and Vinegar with trademark Z
Our food-sorry for the bad lighting!



The next morning we got up and went out for a hearty breakfast...and I sinned against my vegan gods because my stomach talked louder than my brain.  The restaurant was called Bread and Chocolate and it was located on King Street in Alexandria, VA.  We arrived having high expectations but we were a little let down.  Don't get me wrong, the food was amazing, but the waitress didn't refill our water/coffee, and the place was a little empty, so obviously not popular.  Tyler ordered the "Big Breakfast" which came with a basket of bread, potatoes, eggs bacon and sausage...in my opinion it wasn't really that "big".  I ordered my breakfast with the name of the restaurant in mind.  I got something both bread...and chocolatey (:  I had the chocolate banana french toast!!  It was absolutely amazing but I couldn't even eat it all because it was so sweet and filling.  I was happy with my decision, but at the same time regretted it because of how un-vegan it was ):   Anyway I liked this place, but Tyler wasn't to hot on it. So you could either love it or hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment