Sunday, April 28, 2013

Burgers & Gyros

Back home in Seattle!  Spokane was great and Hannah and I were able to go to some nice little off-the-map places.  One of the greatest independent coffee shops you can ever walk into (and spend lots of time and money in) is Atticus.  Named after the famed literary father that we all know and love, this little coffee shop had a great area to sit and sip the best coffee or tea around, and they even have soy options which is a must when you have a vegan relationship like ours!  Atticus also boasts a large selection of goodies to buy, from loose leaf teas and coffee, to all kinds of knick knacks and gifts that are always fun to look at.  Downtown on N Howard next to Riverfront Park, definitely a place to check out.
Being a guy, I'm always infatuated with a really awesome burger that makes your taste buds sweat.  And given that Hannah and I were going to eat meat on this short trip, I bugged her for a while to go to Thrifty Scotsman with me.  I don't know how much more American this place can get..  Classic photos of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe scattered on the walls, motorcycles and cars, and a permanent layer of filth that has never been removed from its' surfaces.  My dad grew up in Spokane and he swears the decor (and ancient arcade machines) have been the same since 1981.  Anyways this place may appear like a disease haven or the kind of place that you think "doesn't have a stray cat problem", on the contrary.  Iv'e been going there for many years and I just can't get enough of the heavenly grease they serve here.  My favorite has always been the Thrifty Burger, which is the equivalent to a loaded bacon cheeseburger at any other backwater place.  The meat is nice and tender, and also not overbearing to the other tastes on the burger.  The bacon on this thing is divine, it is that perfect kind of bacon that has a little crunch but isn't chewy either.  For a place that specializes in beef patties I was shocked to bite into such a great piece of bacon on my burger, and the taste of the cheese with it all makes me shudder just thinking about it, my god.  This place really can't be described too well with words, you really just have to find out for yourself.  Btw the steak fries and onion rings are of equal deliciousness, they even have their own fry sauce!  Located on E Sprague in the Valley.







So after a good few days of hanging out with my crazy family it was time to head home, spring break was over and school was bound to start up the next day :P However!  Her and I have always been good at sneaking away for a moment for a great bite to eat, and I thought it was time to bring her to another place I have always been bugging her about: Santorini Greek Grill.  Now I'm not sure about a lot of people but we LOVE Greek and Mediterranean food.  Having spent a little bit of time in Germany we have acquired a good taste for Gyro-type sandwiches (Germany is famous for non-native Turkish food which is to die for), and I can talk about German doener kebap, but that's for another day.  Santorini has always been a favorite of mine and is well priced for extremely authentic greek delights.  Being vegans, we got a falafel salad and a falafel gyro plate (but I can also say that the gyro meat is the best on the planet).  I love good falafel with a spiced flavor, and this was totally worth any price.  Had a beautiful crispiness about it with not too much softness on the inside; just right.  Their hummus is also a serious winner, smother that stuff all over the pita they give you and you've got an awesome treat, nice and creamy stuff not too thick.  Anything you can eat here along with the clean and very greek looking environment will surely make you feel like you're on the other side of the planet enjoying this food at the HOME of greek food.  Located in Kirkland directly on Central Way. 
We will try to keep updated as we try out new places and have new experiences.  Peace!

Hannah & Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment